- Montalba Architects, Inc.
- 1–5 Stockwerke
Located in the center of historical Vevey, Switzerland, Riviera Loft is a three-story residence set within an industrial building from the 1900s. Rich with texture and history, Riviera Loft was approached with the ambition to preserve the character of the industrial space while still allowing for updates and modern conveniences to accommodate a growing family. To achieve this duality, exterior walls were retained, and focus was placed on fostering a lightness within the interior. Solid walls were softened with rounded corners, and wherever possible, transparent glass was used to embrace natural light and open the space. Each level was designed to serve a specific purpose, with the first level dedicated to the living spaces, the second floor designed for the children's rooms and common space, and the third floor featuring the primary bedroom and bathrooms. A dramatic circular staircase connects all three levels together, reflecting, in form, the original circular window that lines the southern facade. A tonal palette of light oak wood, smoked glass, and black marble is used throughout to create a minimal backdrop for a curated furniture and art collection.
The building was originally built in 1842 for farm machinery repair and the production of mill wheels for presses. After the industrial revolution, and the arrival of the railway in 1861, the purpose of the building pivoted to manufacturing hydraulic turbines. In 1918, following the electrifying of the Swiss federal Railway network, a test station for hydraulic turbines to test propeller turbines was built, which was a new technology from the United States. The new turbine assembly workshop was designed by architect Ferdinand Kurz. The style is described as "regional baroque": "finely chiseled arched moldings subtly mimic colossal antique columns, framing semi-circular arches topped with oculi". Taking the form of a single 9500 m3 space, the building often saw changes of use throughout its history. It was in 1973 when turbines were entirely assembled in other buildings and the workshop was dedicated to "stainless steel boiler making", that the building became known as the "halle inox" (meaning the "stainless steel workshop").